6.0013 Rs: Birthdays, Piazzas, and Jobs for Humanists (3/92)

Sun, 17 May 1992 17:02:27 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0013. Sunday, 17 May 1992.

(1) Date: 14 May 1992, 09:07:49 EST (29 lines)
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB
Subject: Piazzas and stewardship

(2) Date: Thu, 14 May 1992 16:40 EDT (28 lines)
From: "Mary Dee Harris, Language Technology"
<MDHARRIS@guvax.georgetown.edu>
Subject: Birthdays and Jobs for Humanists

(3) Date: Fri, 15 May 1992 08:37 +1200 (35 lines)
From: HORN_A@usp.ac.nz
Subject: Birthday dissent

Date: 14 May 1992, 09:07:49 EST
From: FLANNAGA at OUACCVMB

It is day-time, and I, like most listeners and users of Humanist, am
stressed with extra work to do, in my case mailing out twenty
personalized postcards to advisees so they can come in next week, then
reading galley proofs on the journal I edit (and the first article is
not at all in MLA style!). But I do like Willard's image of our talking
with each other in the piazza, about anything important that comes up,
and I do like Jim O'Donnell's idea that we need to say more in a shorter
space, in this horrible age so full of information. My training in
technical writing and business corresponence comes up: "Keep It Simple,
Stupid," and "Don't waste the reader's time." Readers of Humanist no
longer have any time to relax, much less waste, but we still need the
community of intelligent commentators, and we still need the accidental
touching this list may provide. In my mind's eye I see friends in
Florence, on the Via Calzaioli (the Piazza Signoria was torn up for
excavation), just talking vehemently, not idly, not stupidly, and not
wasting anybody's time, about important things. Which brings up
stewardship, which to me is a word with religious and ecological and
educational overtones: we are stewards of our body according to one
church or another, and thus we should not hurt it with drugs or
overeating; we are stewards of the earth, because we do not in any sense
*own* it, yet we are obligated to take care of it, lest it die; and we
academics are stewards of knowledge, because again we do not own it, we
merely pass it on, and we encourage ourselves to think of the
transmission of knowledge as *free*--as in a piazza. Roy Flannagan