6.0043 Commatose (1/19)

Elaine Brennan & Allen Renear (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 28 May 1992 18:38:12 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0043. Thursday, 28 May 1992.

Date: Wed, 27 May 92 15:44:12 CST
From: (Dennis Baron) <baron@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: comma-tose

As the sole linguist in our English department, I get to answer the
language questions that come in from the outside. One Dr. J. Holler
of Paris, IL, writes to ask "What, is the word, that means, the over-
use, of commas?"

On the off-chance he means something other than commatose, perhaps
one of you could help me compose a reply. I've already
considered virgulitis, which in its more virulent form, becomes virgulosis.
I find nothing in Fowler (sv _stops_). Should I send Dr. Holler a bill?
I'm sure he'd send me one if I asked him a medical question.
I doubt very much that he has any language insurance, so I may have to
consider this pro bono. I am, after all, a state employee.

Dennis Baron debaron@uiuc.edu
Dept. of English office: 217-244-0568
University of Illinois messages: 217-333-2392
608 S. Wright St fax: 217-333-4321
Urbana IL 61801