6.0076 Qs: Psylli; E-Mail to Moscow? (2/39)(

Sat, 13 Jun 1992 12:05:26 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0076. Saturday, 13 Jun 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 11 Jun 92 09:05:54 CST (27 lines)
From: Oliver Philliips <PHILLIPS@UKANVM>
Subject: Psylli

(2) Date: Fri, 12 Jun 92 08:19:03 PDT (12 lines)
From: Paul Brians <BRIANS@WSUVM1>
Subject: Email to Moscow?

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 92 09:05:54 CST
From: Oliver Philliips <PHILLIPS@UKANVM>

Anne-Marie Tupet in her book _La magie dans la poe'sie latine_
(Paris, 1976) is talking about an ancient Libyan people who were
"les charmeurs et les chasseurs de serpents," the Psylli. I'm
working on them for a presentation I'll give in a conference on
ancient magic our Department of Religious Studies will hold in
August.

Tupet (p. 190) says:

"On appelle encore "Psylles", en E'gypte, des charmeurs de
serpents successeurs des Psylles et des Ophioge`nes, ce nom
de'signant maintenant une sorte de confre'rie ou de caste."

She offers no annotation in an otherwise thoroughly annotated
book. Our expert in Egyptian Arabic here knows of no such word
derived from "Psylli."
Can any Arabist out there supply a modern Arabic derivative?

Oliver Phillips
Classics, U. of Kansas
PHILLIPS@UKANVM.BITNET