6.0100 R: On Forks; Q: Used Books (2/27)

Tue, 23 Jun 1992 16:19:33 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0100. Tuesday, 23 Jun 1992.

(1) Date: Mon, 22 Jun 92 19:28:32 EDT (16 lines)
From: Bernard.van't.Hul@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: 6.0094 Rs: Forks (5/80)

(2) Date: Tue, 23 Jun 92 08:43 EST (11 lines)
From: "Joel Elliott (jeliot@unc)" <JELIOT@UNC>
Subject: used books

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 92 19:28:32 EDT
From: Bernard.van't.Hul@um.cc.umich.edu

I am distressed to sense a cartain drift, in conjecture about his
knowing the forks, towards ascertaining something like the "right"
reading, i.e., the truth about him, the forks-knower -- as his knowing
of them figures in the "whole picture [to be perceived by the WHOLE work
in which he is more or less convincingly characterized]."
The resting place of such a drift is the way that drab sanity lies.
Whether the whole book fleshes him out as a dining-room Fauntleroy or
as a Machiavelli with no time to waste on anybody's vision thing -- that
is the RELEVANT sort of knowledge that I hope we can avoid for at least
a while. Much better simply and ignorantly to be appalled, as I want
to be, by the obtuseness of the table-ware set.