6.0105 Announcement Re: The Status of ChaucerNet (1/54)

Thu, 25 Jun 1992 16:39:27 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0105. Thursday, 25 Jun 1992.

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1992 14:46:45 -0400
From: W Schipper <schipper@morgan.ucs.mun.ca>
Subject: ChaucerNet Announcement

The following message was posted on ChaucerNet today. It is being
cross-posted on the following lists for the information of anyone
interested in the list: AnsaxNet, Medtextl, humanist

Hello, ChaucerNet fans

Most of you are aware of the problems that have hit ChaucerNet in the
past few weeks. Aside from the frequent reminders that a certain Harvard
professor was in Italy, and Bernard Van't Hul's plaintive requests to
be released from bondage to the net, there were the thousand or so
bounced messages that overflowed everyone's mailbox.

The recycled bounced messages were the result of a bug in the software
that distributes postings to ChaucerNet, and were exacerbated by the
fact that there was no-one to watch the list and intervene when problems
arose. The bug can't be fixed quickly, but it was possible to find
someone to act as moderator, who can step in when something goes wrong,
as it no doubt will if noone is watching. We hope Murphy's law works in
reverse too, that when someone is watching the list that nothing will
go wrong.

After some discussion Nancy Khawand, of UNL's computing services, and
Bill Schipper, of AnsaxDat fame, have worked what we hope is a simple
but effective method of overseeing the list. All messages and postings
to ChaucerNet will be forwarded to Bill, who will send them out if they
are unproblematic. Problematic ones will be dealt with as they come.
If you have trouble subscribing, or unsubscribing, send a message to
Bill at one of the following addresses:

schipper@unlinfo.unl.edu
schipper@morgan.ucs.mun.ca

Postings to ChaucerNet should continue to go to

chaucer@unlinfo.unl.edu

and changes to your subscription should continue to go to

listserv@unlinfo.unl.edu

We hope this will help to prevent problems in the future. We have no
intention of modifying messages or "censoring" discussion in any way.
In fact, most of you won't notice any difference in the operation of
the net, except that messages will get processed a bit more slowly.
Be patient, because there may still be a few problems that we haven't
anticipated.

--Bill Schipper