6.0120 Rs: Frankenstein; Peripherals; Holocaust (3/111)

Wed, 8 Jul 1992 20:36:50 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0120. Wednesday, 8 Jul 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 07 Jul 92 08:56:01 -0400 (38 lines)
From: "Timothy Clancy" <clancy@a1.relay.upenn.edu>
Subject: Dramatizations of Mary Shelley's _Frankenstein_

(2) Date: Wed, 08 Jul 92 14:53:20 +0200 (13 lines)
From: Thierry van Steenberghe <VST@BUCLLN11.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 6.0118 Rs: Sharing Peripherals

(3) Date: Wed, 08 Jul 92 12:21:13 IST (60 lines)
From: "David M. Schaps" <F21004@BARILVM>
Subject: Re: 6.0113 Qs: Holocaust

Date: Tue, 07 Jul 92 08:56:01 -0400
From: "Timothy Clancy" <clancy@a1.relay.upenn.edu>

Mary Dee Harris recently inquired:

>Mary Shelly saw and admired a play (or some sort of
>dramatization) of her novel _Frankenstein_ in 1823,
>probably in London. Does anyone know anything about
>that? What theater was it? Who produced it? etc.

In 1990, the University of Pennsylvania Press published _Hideous Progenies:
Dramatizations of *Frankenstein* from the Nineteenth Century to the
Present_, by Steven Earl Forry. The 1823 dramatization is most likely
_Presumption; or, The Fate of Frankenstein_, by Richard Brinsley Peake.
Information about this production (including an edition of the
script) can be found in this book. There is also mention of Mary Shelly's
reaction, and the impact on her book (because of increased public interest
in the story, a second edition of her novel was issued). If the book does
not have all of the contextual information you are seeking, perhaps its
extensive bibliography would be of some use.

I'm sure the book is available through interlibrary loan if it is not in
the collection at Georgetown (perhaps MDH will recommend its acquisition).
At the risk of being accused of advertising on the Internet (heaven
forfend!), I provide sales information below to benefit anyone who might be
interested in obtaining a copy (sorry, this specialized monograph is
available in cloth only).

Forry, Steven Earl. Hideous Progenies: Dramatizations of _Frankenstein_
from the Nineteenth Century to the Present. 1990. 328 pages, 31 illus.
Cloth: ISBN 0-8122-8131-4, $41.95.

Address for orders: University of Pennsylvania Press, P.O. Box 4836,
Hampden Station, Baltimore, MD 21211. Toll-free order number:
1-800-445-9880.