6.0146 E-Catalogue Filters (1/39)

Mon, 20 Jul 1992 17:59:11 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0146. Monday, 20 Jul 1992.

Date: Mon, 20 Jul 92 14:56:27 EDT
From: junger@samsara.law.cwru.edu (Peter D. Junger)
Subject: Re: 6.0142 Q: E-library Catalogues

Shortly after I sent my original posting on this subject--and
just before I left the office for the weekend--I received a telephone
call telling me that the fix to the Innopac library catalogue program
had been installed here at CWRU. So they did do it within three days!

It turned out that the fix to the downloading problem had
nothing to do with Procite.

The fix is the addition of an `export function' to the Innopac
software so that the user may mark any bibliographic record for future
export and, at the end of the session, download all of the saved records
to the user's PC using whatever ASCII downloading (i.e., recording)
capability is built into the PC's communications program.

This is a great feature, and goes a long way toward solving my
problem. It does not, however, assist one in recording a search through
the catalogue; it only allows one to download the bibliographic records
that the search discovers.

So I am probably going to go on writing my filter that is
supposed to filter out VT100 escape sequences from a data stream that
has been recorded on a PC. The result should be that the filtered file
will contain nothing but readable ASCII characters, spaces, line feeds,
and carriage returns, and its contents will look, when examined in an
editor, pretty much the way they did when they first appeared on the
screen of the PC.

So now my questions are:

1.) Has anyone written such a filter already? And

2.) Are there any other cases where it would be useful to have
a filter to interpret and remove VT100 (ANSI) escape codes?

Peter D. Junger

Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, OH
Internet: JUNGER@SAMSARA.LAW.CWRU.Edu -- Bitnet: JUNGER@CWRU