6.0153 Response from TLG (1/36)

Fri, 24 Jul 1992 17:06:14 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0153. Friday, 24 Jul 1992.

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 92 12:35:30 -0700
From: Ted Brunner <tbrunner@orion.oac.uci.edu>
Subject: Response from TLG

WOW! Who would have thought that my reminder re TLG license
agreements, text downloading, etc., would lead to the kind of ruckus
which is now reverberating through HUMANIST! Over the past couple of
days, I've been called "patronizing," "rude," "irrelevant,"
"complacent," and only God-knows-what else; I've been accused of
disrespect toward the American taxpayer; and ominous questions are
being raised about the fact that the TLG has shifted data entry from
the Philippines to mainland China (surely something untoward must be
going on there, right?).

Lighten up already, folks! Horace comes to mind: "parturient montes,
nascetur ridiculus mus." For what it's worth to those out there who
seem to be most exercised: I really had no wish to offend. Moreover,
I don't have the time to offend. I've got too many other things to do.

Here's how things are going to work: no, I won't let myself be drawn
into a Humanist-based exchange of polemics. No, I won't submit
reports upon demand, unless the demand comes from those to whom I
report. Yes, I will respond (as I always have) to reasonable requests
for information. "Reasonable" is the key word here: I've never
given any command performances in the past, and I don't intend to give
any in the future.

Reasonable requests for information can be mailed to me at the address
given below, and I will respond by U.S. mail (sorry to disapppoint
those who might be looking forward to a continuation of this
electronic hoopla).

I hope this helps.

Theodore F. Brunner, Director
Thesaurus Linguae Graecae