6.0192 Utilities: Compression; Library Master (3/46)

Wed, 12 Aug 1992 17:00:18 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0192. Wednesday, 12 Aug 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 13:34:46 BST (12 lines)
From: G.R.Hart@durham.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 6.0181 Qs: Listserv for Notebook II; Data Compression (2/31)

(2) Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 12:28:17 EDT (18 lines)
From: Lorne Hammond <051796@UOTTAWA>
Subject: Re: 6.0181 Qs: Listserv for Notebook II; Data Compression

(3) Date: Wed, 5 Aug 92 15:55:57 PDT (16 lines)
From: cbf@athena.berkeley.edu (Charles Faulhaber)
Subject: Library Master

Date: Thu, 06 Aug 92 13:34:46 BST
From: G.R.Hart@durham.ac.uk

To Joel Goldfield's question on file compression utilities: on a Mac I have
found Autodoubler (companion to DiskDoubler from Salient software) very
effective. It does not compress files at time of saving, but you can tell it
how much of the hard disk you want kept free and it will get to work on
compressing files when the machine is idle, after whatever interval you choose
If you want it not to compress particular files, you can exempt them. I don't
know if it is available for PCs.
Jill Hart, Durham, England.