6.0193 Rs: Aristotle on Comedy (3/45)

Wed, 12 Aug 1992 18:11:44 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0193. Wednesday, 12 Aug 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1992 17:53 EST (16 lines)
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@BRANDEIS>
Subject: Aristotle on comedy

(2) Date: 05 Aug 1992 14:47:35 -0600 (MDT) (11 lines)
From: OCRAMER@CCNODE.Colorado.EDU
Subject: Re: 6.0184 Rs: Guys; Aristotle (Was Text/Crit) (2/31)

(3) Date: 10 Aug 1992 13:32:40 EST (18 lines)
From: wilm@legacy.Calvin.EDU
Subject: Re: 6.0184 Rs: Aristotle's "On comedy"

Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1992 17:53 EST
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@BRANDEIS>

There are those who believe that we actually have an outline of the
second part of the Poetics, the part that deals with comedy; Richard
Janko's translation of the Poetics, published by Hackett in 1987,
includes a reconstruction of this "Poetics II". His book Aristotle on
Comedy (1984) goes into more detail on this claim. The Tractatus
Coislinianus, the supposed outline, wasn't discovered by Janko; in fact
Northrop Frye talks about it in his Anatomy of Criticism.

John Lavagnino
Department of English and American Literature, Brandeis University

Internet: lav@binah.cc.brandeis.edu Bitnet: lav@brandeis