6.0218 Qs: Cultural Literacy (1/21)

Wed, 26 Aug 1992 18:22:36 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0218. Wednesday, 26 Aug 1992.

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 92 11:02:27 CDT
From: Michael Feld <feld@ccu.UManitoba.CA>
Subject: Cultural_Literacy

I did pretty well on the _Cultural Literacy_ test: 98%.

(My wife did better, 100%, but then she has the better mind, and was
born and raised in the States; and just you try a Canadian cult lit
equivalency test and see how you like it! But I digress.)

Bette Bao Lord introduces a much harder test of
cultural adequacy, one she says the State Department obliged her to
pass before they'd let her fiance, their employee, marry her.

What follow are questions appearing on pp. 11-12 of her book _Legacies_.
How well can you cope? (Both my wife and I bomb out):

Who is Vardis Fisher?
What ingredients go into a Death in the Afternoon cocktail?
State the difference between a mazurka and a pavane.
Name the starting lineup of the Green Bay Packer,
the capitals of all the West African countries,
the order in which the thirteen original colonies were settled.

(How well would Mr. Hirsch do, do you suppose?)