6.0222 Pogo (1/38)

Fri, 28 Aug 1992 19:30:45 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0222. Friday, 28 Aug 1992.

Date: 27 Aug 1992 13:21:47 -0500
From: <KEHANDLEY@amherst>
Subject: Pogo

Hi. Walt Kelly's _Pogo_ is finally being reprinted in its (projected)
entirety. Volume 1 was published this month, but I suspect that
volume 2's arrival will depend in part upon how quickly volume 1
sells, so I encourage all Humanists and their libraries to buy it. It
is about 11 x 8.5 inches in size, with two strips reproduced per page.
It has 68 pages of strips plus an introduction by R.C. Harvey. The
strips originally ran in the _New York Star_ from Oct. 4, 1948 to Jan.
28, 1949 and in national syndication from May 16, 1949 to June 25,
1949.

It is published by Fantagraphics Books, Seattle, Washington ISBN
1-56097-018-9 US$9.95 in paperback only.

I'll also note that Al Capp's _Li'l Abner_ (the other "darling" comic
strip of post-war academia) is also being reprinted, and volumes 1
through 13 are available from Kitchen Sink Press. Each volume
reprints about a year's worth of strips, with the best possible
production values. We are getting to the meatiest period in the
strip: the Shmoos are introduced in volume 14. _LA_ is also available
in hard cover.

And, while I'm at it, the darling of pre-war academia, George
Herriman's _Krazy Kat_ is also being reprinted. There are about 9
volumes available from Eclipse Publishing, starting about 1916, and 2
volumes from Kitchen Sink, from c. 1934-36 (the KS volumes will
probably not continue due to the bankruptcy of the packager of the
strips).

I mention these because they may (should) be of interest to the
members of Humanist, and I want them to sell enough so that the
series' may continue. I have no interest in Fantagraphics, Kitchen
Sink, or Eclipse, except as a happy reader who doesn't want it to end;
certainly I get no money from anything they sell. Further details
about these projects and other comic-strip and -book reprints can
be had from me via e-mail.

Keith Handley, Amherst College Academic Computer Center
kehandley@amherst, kehandley@amherst.edu