6.0248 Historians and Computing: Currics and Algorithms (2/57)

Wed, 23 Sep 1992 01:18:12 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0248. Wednesday, 23 Sep 1992.

(1) Date: Mon, 14 Sep 92 9:27:51 METDST (37 lines)
From: George Welling <welling@let.rug.nl>
Subject: ahc-workgroup on algorithms

(2) Date: Mon, 21 Sep 92 14:45:32 CET (20 lines)
From: Thomas Zielke <113355@DOLUNI1.BITNET>
Subject: history computing curricula

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 92 9:27:51 METDST
From: George Welling <welling@let.rug.nl>

On the general AHC-meeting in Bologna Manfred Thaller announced that I would
be organizing a workgroup on standards for spreading algorithmic knowledge for
the historical disciplines (not a good name). Since then I have been looking
into our possiblities here in Groningen and it seems that there can be funding
for this activity. I would like to know if there are people who would want to
take part in this workgroup.
The idea is that there are two groups in the historical disciplines using
computers: one is the group of intelligent end-users, the other a small, but
growing group of software developers for the historical disciplines. Most
members of the first group are hardly interested in algorithmic aspects of the
software they use, but the second group is. In computational linguistics there
is a tradition of making algorithms public, alas not in our discipline. To
bring historical-computing on a higher level, it would be nice if some
standards for publication of algorithms could be developed.
Workgroups consist of a small group of experts on the subject, usually
somewhere around 10 persons, and these should come from different countries.
If there are people interested in joining this group, I would ask them to get
in touch with me.
--
                =
             ___|_____               George M. Welling