6.0266 Rs: Computer Literacy (2/46)

Sat, 3 Oct 1992 11:20:16 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0266. Saturday, 3 Oct 1992.

(1) Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1992 08:36 EST (28 lines)
From: Herb Stahlke <00HFSTAHLKE@BSUVAX1.BITNET>
Subject: Computer literacy

(2) Date: Thu, 1 Oct 92 18:38:35 -0400 (18 lines)
From: jdg@oz.plymouth.edu (Dr. Joel Goldfield)

Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1992 08:36 EST
From: Herb Stahlke <00HFSTAHLKE@BSUVAX1.BITNET>

I stayed out of the last round of discussion on computer literacy, but
with it seeming to resume I find the urge to contribute to it almost
irresistible.

We've pretty well given up on the idea of defining computer literacy
at Ball State, at least in any broad way. Rather, what we did,
starting about seven years ago, was to put computers into faculty
offices--we've now been close to 100% for about three years--with the
expectation that they would then begin learning their discipline's
applications and using them with their students. This has worked, by
and large, and now we do our assessment of computer competency on the
basis of individualized departmental goals, which has also been pretty
well received.

We are now in the process of implementing a similar approach with a
local middle school, and so far the teachers and administrators are
responding enthusiastically.

Herb Stahlke
Associate Director
University Computing Services