6.0267 R: Getty Conference on Electronic Information (1/28)

Sat, 3 Oct 1992 11:21:32 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0267. Saturday, 3 Oct 1992.

Date: Thu, 01 Oct 92 00:16:08 EDT
From: Douglas Greenberg <SDGLS@CUNYVM>
Subject: Re: 6.0256 Getty Conference: Electronic Information

As vice president of ACLS (one of the to co-sponsors of the conference that
was announced here by the Getty), I want to respond briefly to Peter Graham's
posting:

Peter--The conference is an invitational conference because we wanted it to be
realtively small and because we wanted it to cost the participants nothing to
come. We have covered all the costs. On the other hand, we do not see the
meeting as exclusive in any sense at all. We plan a very quick turnaround
on the results of the conference, a longer document in less than a year, and a
book about one year from now. All of these will beposted on HUMANIST and
elsewhere asap. Deciding who to invite to the conference was a thankless and
impossible job since so many bases had to be covered with a relatively few
number of participants. HUMANISTS may wish to know, however, that such
notables as Willard McCArty and Susan Hockey are here, among *many*others. To
those we could not invite we apologize but promise to keep you apprised of
the outcome.
Doug Greenberg

DOUGLAS GREENBERG

VICE PRESIDENT