6.0282 E-Texts: Contexts and Queries: Hume, OTA, TLG (3/164)

Wed, 7 Oct 1992 15:43:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0282. Wednesday, 7 Oct 1992.

(1) Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 15:07 EDT (119 lines)
From: Paul Mangiafico <PMANGIAFICO@GUVAX.BITNET>
Subject: Hume E-Texts

(2) Date: Wed, 07 Oct 92 10:10:34 EDT (20 lines)
From: Mark Wollaeger <MWOLLAE@YALEVM>
Subject: Oxford Text Archives; E-texts

(3) Date: Wed, 07 Oct 92 08:04:20 -0700 (25 lines)
From: Ted Brunner <tbrunner@orion.oac.uci.edu>
Subject: TLG and undergraduates

Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 15:07 EDT
From: Paul Mangiafico <PMANGIAFICO@GUVAX.BITNET>

Regarding Kelly Sorensen's question about the availability of Hume
in electronic format, Georgetown University's Catalogue of Projects
in Electronic Text (CPET) shows several, though apparently none
(yet) in CD-ROM. Here is some basic info on the projects I was able
to find with a quick search:

1. HUMETEXT 1.0, Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown Univ.
Prof. Thomas L. Beauchamp
Kennedy Institute of Ethics
Georgetown University
Washington, DC 20057
(202) 687-6726
Sequential text in ASCII format with tags (designed in
consultation with Princeton Univ. Press) for textual
format and scholarly apparatus
Available in MS-DOS or Mac formats, 5.25 or 3.5 diskettes.
Prices: ALA Members $69, individuals $95, site license $195.
Sources and Works: 22 copy texts (encompassing all the
philosophical works but currently excluding history and
correspondence) published between 1739-77. The
electronic editions have been used in the preparation of
the forthcoming Princeton University Press critical
edition of Hume's Philosophical, Political, and Literary
Works (all are edited by T.L. Beauchamp, D.F. Norton, and
M.A. Stewart).

2. Books in Philosophy, South Bend, Indiana
Bruce M. Fingerhut (Editor/Publisher)
Books in Philosophy
237 N. Michigan Street
South Bend, IN 46601
tel. (219) 288-4950
tel. (800) 234-2726
ASCII format. 3.5 and 5.25 inch disks.
Hume, David. Treatise of Human Nature. ($59.95)
Hume, David. An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding and
Concerning the Principles of Morals. ($59.95)

3. Philosophical Electronic Texts, UNC Chapel Hill / Oxford
University Press
Prof. Geoffrey Sayre-McCord
Philosophy Department
C-Box 3125, Caldwell Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3125
(919) 962-2695
Sequential text; plain ASCII with minimal markup
Available in IBM and Mac formats
Selby Bigge editions of Hume's Treatise and Enquiries.

4. Electronic texts in Philosophy, InteLex Corp.
Mark Rooks
InteLex Corporation
PO Box 1827
Clayton, GA 30525-1827
ASCII text with Folio Corporation's VIEWS Program: indexes
every word of the text database, supports hypertext
linking with tokens, supports boolean searches, as well
as wildcard, literal string, nested, and proximity
searches, concordance building, results in databases
roughly 60% the size of the original ASCII text files. 50
Mb. database.
Pricing to individuals:
Text with Folio VIEWS: $39.95 - $274.9
ASCII Text alone: $22.95 - $229.48
Manual: $10
Pricing to Institutions:
Text with Folio VIEWS: $99.95 - $274.95
ASCII text alone: $57.37-$229.48
Manual: $20
Hume, David. "Appendix to a Treatise of Human Nature",
from The Philosophical Works of David Hume. (Boston:
[1854])
Hume, David. "Dialogues Concerning Natural Religion",
from The Philosophical Works of David Hume. (Boston:
[1854])
Hume, David. Dissertation on the Passions, ed. T.H.
Green and T.H. Grose. (London: [1898])
Hume, David. "Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding"
from Essays: Moral, Political, and Literary, ed. T.H.
Green and T.H. Grose. (London: [1898])
Hume, David. "Enquiry Concerning the Principles of
Morals" from Essays: Moral, Political, and
Literary, ed. T.H. Green and T.H. Grose. (London: [1898])
Hume, David. Essays: Moral, Political, and Literary,
ed. T.H. Green and T.H. Grose. (London: [1898])
Hume, David. "Essays Withdrawn" from Essays: Moral,
Political, and Literary, ed. T.H. Green and T.H. Grose.
(London: [1898])
Hume, David. "The Natural History of Religion" from
Essays: Moral, Political, and Literary, ed. T.H. Green
and T.H. Grose. (London: [1898])
Hume, David. "Of the Immortality of the Soul" from
Essays: Moral, Political, and Literary, ed. T.H. Green
and T.H. Grose. (London: [1898])
Hume, David. "On Suicide" from Essays: Moral,
Political, and Literary, ed. T.H. Green and T.H. Grose.
(London: [1898])
Hume, David. A Treatise of Human Nature. (London:
Everyman Library [1911])

Feel free to contact me for more information on these or other
projects, or for info on how to access the CPET database yourself
through Telnet.

Paul U. Mangiafico, Project Assistant
Center for Text and Technology
Academic Computer Center