6.0331 Rs: Buying Computers; E-Texts; E-Addresses (3/71)

Tue, 27 Oct 1992 10:44:24 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0331. Tuesday, 27 Oct 1992.

(1) Date: Sat, 17 Oct 92 12:08:58 WST (35 lines)
From: Gregg=Boalch%IS=Staff%CURTIN@ba1.curtin.edu.au
Subject: 6.0278 On Buying a Computer

(2) Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1992 13:45 EDT (27 lines)
From: Paul Mangiafico <PMANGIAFICO@GUVAX.BITNET>
Subject: Shelley e-texts

(3) Date: Wed, 21 Oct 92 11:51:49 EDT (9 lines)
From: lenoblem@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Lenoble Michel)
Subject: adresse du CETEDOC

Date: Sat, 17 Oct 92 12:08:58 WST(4) (1 lines)
From: Gregg=Boalch%IS=Staff%CURTIN@ba1.curtin.edu.au

Further to the Mike Strangelove's comments re the above, a few points that may
be of use.

First, it is my understanding that you should not need two fans for a 486 -
thse are only required if the chips themselves generate a lot of heat, which
is apparently a design fault on the lower-end (quality) machines. I have had a
486DX-50 with a single fan at home for quite a while now while no problems.

Second, when purchasing a beastie, look at a mini-tower and not a desktop:
that way you get the best of both worlds.

Thirdly, ensure you have a video card populated to 1MB of RAM (preferably a
Tseng Labs card) which will give you crisper images and subtler hues.

Finally, this ongoing saga of Mac V Unix v ISA (IBM compatible) should be a
non-event once PowerOpen is released (1993/4): PowerOpen is the joint effort
of Apple and IBM to design and produce an operating system that will run
identically on all three platforms (and squeeze out MicroSoft).

Maybe it will also walk on water and make perfect souffles...

* Gregg Boalch E-Mail: Boalch@ba1.curtin.edu.au *
* School of Information Systems Phern: (619) 351 2565 *
* Curtin University of Technology Fax: (619) 351 3076 *
* Snail: GPO Box U1987 *
* ...seek grace, elegance and PERTH W. AUSTRALIA 6001 *
* understanding in everything... *