6.0346 Rs: Erasmus (3/42)

Thu, 5 Nov 1992 07:37:29 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0346. Thursday, 5 Nov 1992.

(1) Date: Mon, 2 Nov 92 07:41:39 PST (10 lines)
From: gwp@dido.caltech.edu (G. W. Pigman III)
Subject: 6.0336 Qs: Exchanges; Pen-Pals; S/W; Address; Quote (6/89)

(2) Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1992 20:41:31 -0500 (17 lines)
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)
Subject: Erasmus reference

(3) Date: Mon, 2 Nov 1992 20:48:41 -0500 (15 lines)
From: warkent@epas.utoronto.ca (Germaine Warkentin)

Date: Mon, 2 Nov 92 07:41:39 PST
From: gwp@dido.caltech.edu (G. W. Pigman III)

Michael Heim wants to know the source of Erasmus's statement about his
publisher, Aldus Manutius: "Aldus is creating a library which has no
boundaries other than the world itself." It's from "Festina Lente":
"Aldus bibliothecam molitur, cuius non alia septa sint, quam ipsius
orbis" (*Adagia*, in *Opera Omnia*, ed. Le Clerc, ii. 403A).