6.0434 Qs:: ISO; S/W for W/P; Languages; Walker's Dict (4/80)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 12 Jan 1993 17:00:55 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0434. Tuesday, 12 Jan 1993.

(1) Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1993 09:45:41 PST (21 lines)
From: cb@xis.xerox.com (Christopher Bader)
Subject: ISO y-umlaut condundrum

(2) Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1993 16:12 EST (19 lines)
From: NEUMAN@GUVAX.BITNET
Subject: Searching WordPerfect documents in Greek

(3) Date: Sat, 09 Jan 93 10:45 PST (25 lines)
From: "Robert S. Kirsner" <IDT1RSK@UCLAMVS.BITNET>
Subject: Info re Fate of "minor" languages

(4) Date: Tue, 12 Jan 93 13:56:27 -0500 (15 lines)
From: John Price-Wilkin <jpw@sansfoy.lib.virginia.edu>
Subject: Walker's Pronouncing Dictionary

Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1993 09:45:41 PST
From: cb@xis.xerox.com (Christopher Bader)

This is something I've wondered about for a long time
so I thought I might see if anyone out there knew the
answer...

The very last character in the ISO 8859/1 character set
(which is used in Windows and Sun Unix) is a lower case
y with an umlaut. I don't know of any European languages
that use a y-umlaut.

Is it possible that this character is supposed to be
the Dutch ij ligature and was misunderstood as y-umlaut?

Alternatively, do the Dutch sometimes use y-umlaut
instead of ij?

-- Christopher Bader