6.0435 Rs: On Bibliographies To Be Kept on Line ... (4/76)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 12 Jan 1993 17:05:48 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0435. Tuesday, 12 Jan 1993.

(1) Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 12:56:30 -0500 (25 lines)
From: cwoodill@epas.utoronto.ca (Christopher Woodill)
Subject: Re: 6.0427 Rs: Bibliograpies online? (1/67)

(2) Date: Thu, 7 Jan 93 21:50:23 EST (12 lines)
From: lenoblem@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Lenoble Michel)
Subject: WHY DON'T WE (Part II)

(3) Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 23:20 EST (13 lines)
From: "Peter Graham, Rutgers U., (908) 932-2741"
<GRAHAM@ZODIAC.BITNET>

(4) Date: Thu, 7 Jan 93 19:57:47 PST (26 lines)
From: calcaris%nic.cerf.net%cerf.net@Sdsc.BITnet (susan calcari)
Subject: How to get info on FTP server at NIH

Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1993 12:56:30 -0500
From: cwoodill@epas.utoronto.ca (Christopher Woodill)

> 1) People keep their bibl. refs. in 50 different formats, from a
> word processor file (WP, Word, NB, etc. etc.) to a variety of
> bibl. programs (Pro-Cite, Papyrus, Library Manager, NB's Ibid,
> and a dozen others we can all name off the tops of our heads).
> A common repository would *either* have to be straight ascii
> *or* use an agreed program. Since we'd be retrieving cites
> through the network, common sense dictates straight ascii but
> in a set format that could be poured into a variety of bibl.
> bibl. formatting programs (does such a format exist?)

In using telecommunication programs, we have programs for converting
BBS lists into various formats for dialing directories for different
programs (ie. Telix, procomm, etc.) which have different formats.
Could not such a program be written for this case as well? You could
scan in standard bibligraphic formats or standard data base files, and
then get the program to convert them to any desired format.

Christopher