6.0581 Rs: Bibliographic Databases (2/65)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 12 Mar 1993 16:52:39 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0581. Friday, 12 Mar 1993.

(1) Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 15:31 EDT (20 lines)
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@BRANDEIS.BITNET>
Subject: Bibliographic Databases

(2) Date: Fri, 12 Mar 93 21:38:38 +0100 (45 lines)
From: Roland Hjerppe <rhj@ida.liu.se>
Subject: Re: 6.0575 SW: CALL; Bibliographic Databases

Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1993 15:31 EDT
From: John Lavagnino <LAV@BRANDEIS.BITNET>

Stephen Naoyuki Matsuba <matsuba@writer.yorku.ca> writes:

> But I noticed that in a number of cases, articles in the
> these "new" areas did include items in their bibliographies that were
> in my other sources. I began to think that it might be possible to
> use the bibliographies of articles and books as the basis for an
> expert system that would expand the capabilities of electronic
> bibliographic databases.

Indices to bibliographic citations exist: the version for our field is
called the Arts and Humanities Citation Index. What's new in this
contribution is the suggestion that it be combined with something like
the MLA bibliography in one system, which would certainly be something
new.

John Lavagnino, Department of English, Brandeis University