6.0593 Rs: Gaia; E-NOTIS (Bowker's Pricing); Sinning (3/67)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 16 Mar 1993 14:24:23 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 6, No. 0593. Tuesday, 16 Mar 1993.

(1) Date: Tue, 16 Mar 93 06:47:54 EST (21 lines)
From: Eric Rabkin <USERGDFD@UMICHUM.BITNET>
Subject: 6.0590 Rs: Electric Gaia

(2) Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1993 09:32:49 -0500 (39 lines)
From: Jim Campbell <jmc@poe.acc.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: 6.0587 Qs: E-NOTIS;

(3) Date: Mon, 15 Mar 93 20:58 PST (7 lines)
From: Jack Kolb <IKW4GWI@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Re: 6.0591 Rs: Sinning Against the Light

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 93 06:47:54 EST
From: Eric Rabkin <USERGDFD@UMICHUM.BITNET>

> there is the MINITEL phenomenon of
> individuals (numerous) who are able to construct multiple ascii
> personalities in diverse electronic contexts over an extended
> period of time - so here we see that the video display terminal
> has become theatre and lends itself to the Self-as-actor (someone
> mentioned a sci-fi novel to me that develop this thread with two
> children/geniuses who created two distinct Net personalities
> to manipulate global opinion).
The novel Michael Strangelove refers to is probably
*Ender's Game* by Orson Scott Card. It won the 1986 Hugo
Award as best SF novel of the year.

Eric Rabkin esrabkin@umichum.bitnet
Department of English esrabkin@um.cc.umich.edu
University of Michigan office : 313-764-2553
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1045 dept : 313-764-6330
voice msgs: 313-763-3128
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------51----
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1993 09:32:49 -0500
From: Jim Campbell <jmc@poe.acc.virginia.edu>

> I believe I know that Bowker has offered to let any library using the
> NOTIS e-catalogue system have the tapes to load the contents of Books in
> Print with their regular catalogue. My own feeling is that this would be
> a Great Good Thing, though I gather librarians are reluctant. Does anyone
> know an internet-accessible NOTIS-driven catalogue that *has* put the
> Books in Print material on line?
>
> Jim O'Donnell
> Classics, U. of Penn.

At the Univ. of Virginia Library, we've been negotiating with Bowker
not about adding BIP to our catalog, but about networking their
CD-ROM of BIP, Ulrich's, and Whitaker's BIP. It would be
possible, but a real mess, to add a changing database like BIP to
your catalog, though libraries using NOTIS could consider putting
BIP in the Multiple Database or InfoShare systems. These
databases are maintained separately from the catalog, but
accessible from the same frontend and with the same search system
and commands. The separate maintenance makes it easier to load
new data and especially to take down the superseded data.
Running the data separately also allows it to be password
protected, unlike the catalog. Bowker, like most database vendors,
believes that unlimited Internet access would cut into its sales
and requires restrictions on use.

The big problem though isn't where you put the database, it's
Bowker's pricing scheme. If all you want to do is make BIP
available within one building, say your main library, the price
is fairly reasonable. But you're then charged the full price
again for each additional building from which the data is
accessible. One would hope the price would top out somewhere, but
we haven't found that point yet.

- Jim Campbell (campbell@virginia.edu)

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 93 20:58 PST
From: Jack Kolb <IKW4GWI@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>

My response to the query about Newman's "sinning against the light" was not
meant to be self-promoting: I identified my research interests for the
Victorian group, to whom I meant to respond directly.