7.0018 Rs: Modelling (2/64)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 21 May 1993 11:05:19 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0018. Friday, 21 May 1993.

(1) Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 17:42:57 -0400 (22 lines)
From: "Peter I. Kuniholm" <PETER@dendro.mail.cornell.edu>
Subject: Re: 7.0006 Modelling (1/33)

(2) Date: Tue, 18 May 93 17:11:49 CDT (42 lines)
From: Norman Hinton <hinton@eagle.sangamon.edu>

Date: Mon, 17 May 1993 17:42:57 -0400
From: "Peter I. Kuniholm" <PETER@dendro.mail.cornell.edu>

Re. modelling:
I have always looked on the notion of modelling with a certain
amount of suspicion as colleagues (humanists and social scientists)
tried to use them (models) to make their work seem more like that of
the hard scientists. At lunch the other day I asked Alfred Kahn (the
economist chap who is responsible for our cramped seats on the
airlines) what he thought about models, particularly the econometric
ones. He replied that he thinks they are a fad which will sooner or
later pass.
For whatever THAT is worth.... Peter Kuniholm

Peter Ian Kuniholm, Department of the History of Art and Archaeology,
G-35 Goldwin Smith Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853-3201.
Tel. (607)255-8650 lab.; (607)255-9732 office; (607)257-7845 home.
BITNET address = MCG@CORNELLC
INTERNET address = PETER@DENDRO.MAIL.CORNELL.EDU