7.0020 Qs: Music Garden; Jawbone; Spanish Job; PHI (4/71)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 21 May 1993 11:16:34 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0020. Friday, 21 May 1993.

(1) Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 12:20:18 +0100 (27 lines)
From: "David Zeitlyn, Soc. & Cult. Anthropology,
Subject: ethnomusicological gardening Qn for HUmanist

(2) Date: Thu, 20 May 93 11:46:15 EDT (25 lines)
From: Sarah L. Higley <slhi@troi.cc.rochester.edu>
Subject: Jawbone in Judges

(3) Date: 18 May 93, 16:56:30 EST (5 lines)
From: ASANDERS at UMAB

(4) Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 13:39:08 -0500 (EST) (14 lines)
From: Evelyn Ehrlich <EHRLICHE@elmer1.bobst.nyu.edu>
Subject: PHI

Date: Tue, 18 May 1993 12:20:18 +0100
From: "David Zeitlyn, Soc. & Cult. Anthropology,

To the readers of Humanist and Music-l
Hello,
I am writing on behalf of a colleague, Helen La Rue, who is not yet connected
to Email to ask for suggestions for an ethnomusicological garden that she is
planning behind the Balfour Building of the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford. The
Balfour building houses a collection of musical instruments from all round the
world.
The idea is to make a garden that is both attractive to the eye, and to follow
a muscialogical theme - so suggestions are welcome for plants that are either
used in the making of musical instruments - we already have arunda donax the
source of the reed for oboes, clarinets, bagpipes etc
or
plants whose names have musical allusions - all the trumpet named flowers etc.

We need plants that are hardy to survive a central/southern English climate
without the benefits of hothouses. Some +/- sheltered walls are available
however.
Also, if you suggest an obscure plant please suggest sources!

I look forward to some entertaining suggestions
Many thanks in advance for your help
David Zeitlyn