7.0048 Rs: Books in Print (2/45)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 13 Jun 1993 16:27:06 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0048. Sunday, 13 Jun 1993.

(1) Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1993 16:13:10 +0300 (EET-DST) (21 lines)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL (Judy Koren)
Subject: RE: 7.0044 Books in Print

(2) Date: Tues, 08 Jun 93 08:53:00 PDT (24 lines)
From: <DGH@herald.divinity.yale.edu>
Subject: Books in Print

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1993 16:13:10 +0300 (EET-DST)
From: LBJUDY@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL (Judy Koren)

Re: Books in Print on the Internet:

BIP is a commercial product whose use has to be licensed, ie paid for.
They sell site licenses, starting from 5 simultaneous users, but
by the time you get up to "unlimited use" the charges are pretty
high; and I'm not sure they would license their product for use
by people who are not "on-site" or at least members of the site
(eg university) licensing the product.

I would therefore be very surprised if you *did* find an Internet-
available BIP! It falls into the general category of things that
universities put onto their local campus network but have to bar
access to from outside, in order to comply with licensing restrictions.

Judy Koren,
Technion Library System,
Haifa, Israel.