7.0050 World Wibe Web Browser: Ms-Windows (Beta) (1/149)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 13 Jun 1993 16:30:09 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0050. Sunday, 13 Jun 1993.

Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 13:32:43 +0200
From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@www3.cern.ch>
Subject: WWW browser for MS-Windows: Beta release

From: Thomas R. Bruce <trb2@cornell.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 93 22:00:52 GMT-1:00

(Cross-posted to many lists and groups. Please forgive necessary

duplications)

Folks:

This is an announcement of Beta Release 0.1 of Cello, a

World-Wide Web browser for Microsoft Windows 3.1

Features:

-- (HTTP/HTML) browser, with user-configurable colors and fonts.
-- Full-featured Gopher (though unfortunately not yet Gopher+)

client, including a hyper-ized CSO which permits (sorta dumb)

SMTP mailing.
-- Transparent access (via WWW) to FTP, HyTelNet, Telnet, etc.

etc. ad infinitum.
-- Graphics and PostScript viewing and sound playing via

MSWindows Associations...feature, using add-on, shareware

viewers such as SNDTOOL, GV057, and the Windows version of

GhostScript.
-- Ad-hoc Telnet, FTP, and Gopher sessions.

-- SLIP/PPP support with dialup scripting language.

-- Supports wide range of LAN configurations via Distinct

TCP/IP runtime stack.

Things you should know:

-- Hardware:
Cello needs a Windows 3.1-capable machine with enhanced mode

and (preferably) swapping enabled. It is hungry for extended RAM.

-- Software:
Cello depends (for now...we're working on a Winsock version) on the

Distinct TCP/IP runtime stack. The LII has licensed the use of a

runtime version of this software for use by US academic institutions

for a period of one year, starting June 1, after which we will

renegotiate the license. Commercial organizations and non-academic

users are strongly urged to contact Distinct directly at

mktg.distinct.com.

The Distinct software adds enormous functionality to the package,

including SLIP/PPP support with scripting, and configuration for

many types of LAN and networking layers.
We are working on a Winsock version which will be available

without restriction later this summer.

--How to get it:

FTP to fatty.law.cornell.edu, the /pub/LII/Cello subdirectory. The

distribution is in multiple files. At a minimum, you will need

README.1ST, which contains unpacking instructions.
CELLO.ZIP, which contains the executable and Help application
DIS.ZIP, which contains the runtime stack.

Optionally, you should also get:

VIEWERS.ZIP, which contains a graphics viewer and sound player for

use with Cello.

GSWIN.ZIP, which contains the Windows version of GhostScript.

PLEASE NOTE that fatty is but an humble little Sparc and you can

bring it to its knees fairly easily, so if you have another source
for

the GhostScript stuff please spare me and everyone else by going to

the alternate source; the file is 2+ MB.

Installation:

Installation is performed by following the instructions in

README.1ST, then using the online help. Additional support is

available from a listserv list called appropriately enough CELLO-L.

the one-liner:

sub cello-l your full name

in the body of the message. cello-l is watched by the developer and

by a few folks who graciously assisted in alpha testing and who

know more about the software's treacherous behavior than its

author; the listowner is Will Sadler at Indiana University Law
School.

We are also working on an archive of installation hints and tricks.

Please try to take it easy on comp.infosystems.www; Tim already has

too much to deal with (grin).

Who'n'heck are these guys?:

The Legal Information Institute, operating under the auspices of the

Cornell Law School, is an entity set up to distribute legal
information

in hypertextual form by various means, including the Net. Since

there wasn't a Web client for the platform used most by lawyers and

legal academics, we took it into our (ill-advised) heads to write
one.

This is it, almost. For further information:
lii@fatty.law.cornell.edu.

Regards,
Tb.