7.0076 Costs of Reading Articles (1/93)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 6 Jul 1993 19:32:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0076. Tuesday, 6 Jul 1993.

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1993 12:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: Beverly Stafford <stafford@lclark.edu>
Subject: Re: 7.0063 Costs of Reading Articles (1/58)

I have not read this full study, only a summary of it in article form,
but these figures do not match up with a cost study we did here in our
local network of libraries this past spring. As part of an interlibrary
loan committee for PORTALS (consisting of a large state academic university
library, a state-supported medical library, several smaller liberal arts
college libraries, the large public library, and several others) we did
an interlibrary loan cost study using the criteria used for the study
below. The low figure was $5.-$6. up to $11.-$12., rather than the $19.
cited below.
The costs vary depending upon what salaries are paid, how work for
interlibrary loan is assigned, what equipment is maintained by the ILL
department, and a range of other variables. If higher paid staff does
a higher percentage of routine ILL processing, for example, the net
cost to borrow a book goes up. If the ILL department shares a fax
machine with the rest of the library, the cost is lower than if the ILL dept.
has their own fax, etc.etc.
As for adding in the cost for processing by the lending library, I'm not
sure that this is really fair, since it is already factored in by adding
the invoice from the the lending library to the borrowing charge above.
A library may borrow 50% or more from free suppliers, rather than charging
libraries, which is another variable in the cost to borrow on ILL.
All respects to the work of the study quoted, please do not assume
it is engraved in stone; it is etched in pencil.

-Beverly B. Stafford, ILL Librarian, Lewis and Clark College Library
Portland, OR