7.0134 Qs: Eros/Thanatos; Jules Michelet (2/29)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 23 Aug 1993 16:29:58 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0134. Monday, 23 Aug 1993.

(1) Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 11:57:18 -0500 (CDT) (17 lines)
From: Robert Glendinning <glendin@CC.UManitoba.CA>
Subject: eros/thanatos

(2) Date: Sat, 21 Aug 93 22:38:19 -0400 (12 lines)
From: jdg@oz.plymouth.edu (Dr. Joel Goldfield)
Subject: Query regarding Jules Michelet

Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1993 11:57:18 -0500 (CDT)
From: Robert Glendinning <glendin@CC.UManitoba.CA>

I've been working on the love-death theme/motif in medieval and early
modern literature (i.e., the type: Pyramus and Thisbe, Tristan and Isolde,
Euryalus and Lucretia, Romeo and Juliet). Am also interested in the modern
German texts (Kleist, Thomas Mann). It's high time I did some reading on the
theoretical side. Would be grateful for some basic bibliography on the
eros/thanatos axis per se, i.e., secondary literature. Please don't swamp
me. Also, am I missing really important primary sources in the medieval
and Renaissance (and ancient) periods? Probably. Thanks for your help. I'm
posting this request on both the HUMANIST and the MEDTEXTL lists.
Robert Glendinning, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada