7.0139 WordNet 1.4 Available Now (1/202)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 24 Aug 1993 18:23:39 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0139. Tuesday, 24 Aug 1993.

Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1993 15:07:33 -0400
From: "Shari L. Landes" <shari@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>
Subject: WordNet 1.4 Release Available Now

WordNet is an on-line lexical reference systems whose design is
inspired by current psycholinguistic theories of human lexical memory.
English nouns, verbs, and adjectives are organized into synonym sets, each
representing one underlying lexical concept. Different relations
link the synonym sets.

*** Update: WordNet Version 1.4 is now available ***

(Release notice, users' mailing list information and README file)

WordNet Version 1.4 is now available. The WordNet database is close
to 13.5 megabytes, exclusive of the search code. The entire package
is approximately 17.5 megabytes. The WordNet search code is
distributed in binary form only, and is presently available for Sun-4,
NeXT, DECstation, RS-6000, Macintosh and PC architectures. An X
Windows interface is available for Sun-4, DECstation, RS-6000 and NeXT
(please note that this is NOT a NeXTStep application - you must have X
Windows for the NeXT in order to use the X Windows interface). A
Microsoft Windows interface is available for the PC. A command line
interface is also provided for all architectures except the Macintosh.

If you are currently using an earlier version of WordNet you are
strongly encouraged to upgrade to version 1.4. Small bugs and
inconsistencies in both the database and search software have been
corrected, and the database coverage has been expanded. Attributes
have been added with this release.

New with release 1.4 is a semantic concordance: a textual corpus
linked to a lexicon with semantic tags. The concordance consists of
103 files from the Brown Corpus annotated with pointers to word senses
in the WordNet 1.4 database. An X Windows application, Escort, is
provided for searching the concordance files for occurrences and
co-occurrences of semantic tags. Escort has been ported to the Sun-4,
NeXT and DECstation platforms. You must install WordNet 1.4 before
installing and using the semantic concordance package. The semantic
concordance package is approximately 20 megabytes.

Summary of changes:

Updates to database - additional coverage, cleanup
Addition of attributes
Port to RS-6000
New semantic concordance package

We prefer that you ftp the WordNet system via anonymous ftp from
clarity.princeton.edu. The packages are located in the subdirectory
'pub'.

* IF YOU FTP WordNet, PLEASE SEND MAIL TO wordnet@princeton.edu SO WE *
* CAN UPDATE OUR RECORDS AND KEEP TRACK OF OUR USERS FOR FUTURE MAILINGS *
* AND RELEASES. EVEN IF YOU ARE A CURRENT USER WHO IS UPDATING, IT IS *
* USEFUL TO US TO KNOW THAT YOU HAVE UPGRADED TO 1.4. *

***** REMEMBER TO FTP IN "binary" MODE!!! *****

To ftp the UNIX version of WordNet 1.4, ftp the following file:

wn1.4unix.tar.Z WordNet Version 1.4 for UNIX systems
in compressed tar format. This includes
the WordNet database, binary installation
of search code for Sun-4, DECstation, RS-6000
and NeXT, and documentation. Installation
instructions and a Makefile are included.
Man pages are provided as unformatted troff
files.

To ftp the PC (DOS) version of WordNet 1.4, ftp the following files:

readme.pc README file for PC installation.

wn14.arc PC version in ARC format. This includes the
WordNet database, binary installation of
search code (command line and Microsoft
Windows interfaces), and documentation.
Installation instructions and installation
batch file, and a batch file for running
WordNet are included. Man pages are provided
in a format which can be sent to the line
printer or viewed on the screen.

arc.exe arc program needed to 'unarc' the PC version.
If you already have this on your PC you do
not need to ftp this file.

To ftp the Macintosh version of WordNet 1.4, ftp the following files:

readme.mac README file for Macintosh installation.

MacWordNet1.4.sit.bin
Macintosh version in Stuffit format.
This includes the WordNet database, binary
installation of search code, and documentation.
Man pages are provided in Postscript format.

UnStuffit-Deluxe-TM.bin
Unstuffit program needed to unpack the
Macintosh version. If you already have
UnStuffit on your Macintosh, you don't
need to ftp this file.

Semantic concordance:

wn1.4semcor.tar.Z
Semantic concordance package in compressed tar
format. Includes the semantically tagged
files, Escort searching application for
Sun-4, DECstation and NeXT, and documentation.
Installation instructions and a Makefile are
included. Man pages are provided as
unformatted troff files.

Papers and WordNet documentation only:

wn1.4man.tar.Z WordNet 1.4 documentation (man pages) only
as unformatted troff files.

5papers.tar.Z troff paper describing WordNet project in
compressed tar format ("Five Papers on
WordNet"). A Makefile for formatting and
printing the papers is included.

If you need a PC or Macintosh version on diskette we will provide
WordNet on magnetic media. There is a charge of $25 for PC diskettes
(high density only, either 3 1/2" or 5 1/4"), $25 for Macintosh
diskettes (high density 3 1/2" only), and $30 for 8mm tape. Please
send a check, payable to Princeton University, along with a request
for a specific format to:

Princeton University
Cognitive Science Laboratory
221 Nassau Street
Princeton, NJ 08544-2093
Attn: Laura Hawkins

If you have received an earlier version of WordNet on magnetic media,
you may return the media to us and receive an upgrade for $10.

To receive a printed copy of "Five Papers on WordNet", please send $6
to the address above. (We do prefer that you ftp this document if
possible.)

If you are running on an unsupported platform or have a need for the
source to the WordNet search code, please send mail to
wordnet@princeton.edu. We will consider requests for source code on
an individual basis.

Please address all email concerning WordNet to wordnet@princeton.edu.
We will try to respond in a timely manner. If you have received this
message via email and do not wish to remain in the user database,
please send a request to be deleted.

We have (finally) set up a WordNet users' mailing list that will be
administered here at Princeton. Items addressed to the mailing list
will be automatically forwarded to all users on the list. Please note
that this mailing list is separate from the user database. In order
to participate in the mailing list, you must specifically request to
be added. We hope that the mailing list will be a place for useful
discourse about WordNet to take place. We at Princeton are always
interested to hear what our users are doing with WordNet, and we
imagine many users wonder what other users are using it for.
Hopefully this mailing list will help to bring researchers together to
exchange their ideas, experiences, code and philosophies.

'wn-users@princeton.edu'. Requests to be added to or removed from the
Although you have received this announcement, you will only be added
to the mailing list if you send a request to
'wn-users-request@princeton.edu'. Please be sure to include your
correct e-mail address in the body of your request. Also, to help us
keep our records up to date, if you are a current WordNet user it
would be helpful to us if you would include the version of WordNet you
are using (the latest release is 1.4) and the platform(s) that you are
running on.

If you have code or various flavors of the WordNet database that you
would like to share with others, at the present time we prefer that
you keep the data at your site, announce it to users via the mailing
list, and make it available to interested parties either via 'ftp' or
e-mail. If your site does not allow anonymous ftp, then we will
consider moving the data to Princeton. Requests of this sort should
be addressed to 'wn-users-request@princeton.edu'.

To help with the administrative end of things, items sent to
'wn-users-request@princeton.edu' should use the 'Subject' of the
message to convey the intent of the request. To be added to the
mailing list, please specify a subject of 'Add user'. Similarly, to
be removed from the list, specify a subject of 'Remove user'. Other
types of requests should attempt to make intelligent use of the
message subject.

PS. Administrative requests may only be handled once a week so please
be patient.

Human speech is like a cracked kettle on which we tap crude
rhythms for bears to dance to, while all the while we long to make
music that will move the stars to pity - Gustave Flaubert