7.0157 Rs: Teacher Training and Technology (1/219)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 6 Sep 1993 17:22:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0157. Monday, 6 Sep 1993.

Date: 4 Sep 93 22:25:26 +0200
From: Andreas Lund <Slu@oscar.bbb.no>
Subject: teacher training and technology

Regarding Alan Fisher question about technology training and

future teachers:

I read the question (and the response so far) with great

interest. I am one of several co-ordinators engaged by the

Council of Europe to do research and development work. The

project is titled "The use of information and communication

technologies in the learning and teaching of modern languages

in vocationally oriented education [upper secondary (16-19)

and adult education]". Within this framework, several groups

are working on different aspects of information technology and

language learning.

The project I am working on is described below. The literature

on the subject is (as far as I know) sparse. I welcome

opinions, advice, tips etc. from anyone with an interest in

the field.

PROJECT TITLE: WHETHER, WHERE, WHEN AND HOW TO USE IT

(information technology) IN VOLL (vocationally oriented

language learning)

At the time of writing, this project has been in process for a

year. The group members represent Italy, Switzerland and

Norway, hence the R&D work will bear evidence of learning

conditions in these countries although we believe the issues

involved are universal.

The work of the group has to do with methodology. We have made

the assertion that teachers are in need of a methodological

approach to the use of IT, technical know-how is not enough.

The aim is to furnish teachers, administrators and teacher

training colleges with methodological guidelines on how to use

and benefit from the powerful tools that IT represents.

The R&D work has concentrated on two major approaches:

A) Teachers in the three countries in question have filled in

and returned a rather extensive questionnaire. The results

have been analysed and will form the first part of the final

report. This part of the projects tries to uncover teachers'

attitudes and approaches to VOLL, to learners' needs, and

knowledge of, access to and influence on the use of IT in

VOLL. This analysis and our own ideas on the subject will form

the basis of a discussion on methodological guidelines for

teachers venturing into the IT/VOLL field. Talks with

business executives and teacher trainers will also be some of

the background for this section.

B) A set of quite different case studies will document and

concretize these guidelines. The case studies reflect

classroom experience, both from "ordinary" and experimental

forms. The idea is to present a top-down approach where

instead of starting with the software and looking for

possibilities, we start by looking at goals, learning

strategies and illustrate how they can (or cannot!) be

achieved through IT. A spin-off will be a list of software

used in the case studies, but again evaluated in relation to

their methodological possibilities and implications.

At present, the outline of the final document looks like this:

1. INTRODUCTION

Reasons for the project, discussion of teacher needs,

assertions

2. INTERPRETATION OF QUESTIONNAIRE

An analysis of data from the separate countries will be

followed by a comparison to highlight most important findings,

differences and similarities.

3. METHODOLOGICAL GUIDELINES

Various approaches to language teaching in the light of new

technology

4. CASE STUDIES

i) Written communication by E-mail

ii) Text construction in a Hypertext environment

iii) Workplace simulation in an IT environment

iv) Text manipulation through IT

v) IT as trigger for oral communication

vi) Differentiated learning through IT

5. REFERENCE LIST WITH TYPOLOGY

Software evaluated and described according to its use in the

case studies

APPENDIX: QUESTIONNAIRE (ORIGINAL)

BIBLIOGRAPHY

That's it, I welcome any response from HUMANISTs.

Andreas Lund

Brekkeby vgs

N-3727 Skien

Norway