7.0204 Qs: Word? (French) Film E-List; E-Bibles (3/64)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 22 Sep 1993 17:04:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0204. Wednesday, 22 Sep 1993.

(1) Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 11:21:04 CDT (25 lines)
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>
Subject: handy word?

(2) Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 19:48:05 +0800 (WST) (21 lines)
From: Tim Unwin <tunwin@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>
Subject: Discussion Lists on (French) Film

(3) Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 15:54:06 -0600 (MDT) (18 lines)
From: BushC@BYUVAX.BITNET (Chuck Bush)
Subject: E-texts of the Bible

Date: Mon, 20 Sep 93 11:21:04 CDT
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@SMSVMA>

I appeal to my more literate colleagues on this list to help me find
(invent?) a word which means "serving to justify/legitimate violence."

I'm working on a paper which explores Genesis 2-3 in both historical
and contemporary interpretation, with regard to how specific interpretations
work as _myth_ defining a basic image/value of woman, and thus "serving
to justify or legitimate violence against women." I would like to be
able to convey this function with a single adjective, so that I can
refer to "the __________ (=serving to justify/legitimate violence against
women) myth" without having to always use this cumbersome phrase.

"Misogynist" is too broad. I would appreciate any suggestions, and, of
course, happily credit the contributor who hits the phrase on the head,
so to speak.

Thanks in advance,

Charles Ess * "Life is change;
Drury College * How it differs from the rocks"
Springfield, MO 65802 USA * -- Grace Slick
(voice) 417-873-7230 *