7.0313 Rs: E-Goethe; Screen Capture S/W (2/73)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 28 Nov 1993 14:37:31 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0313. Sunday, 28 Nov 1993.

(1) Date: Thu, 25 Nov 93 23:36:52 MST (11 lines)
From: "Dr. S. Totosy" <STOTOSY@UALTAVM>
Subject: 7.0308 Rs: Goethe

(2) Date: Fri, 26 Nov 93 9:41:34 CST (62 lines)
From: gerhard obenaus <gobenaus@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: Re: 7.0296 R: Screen Capture

Date: Thu, 25 Nov 93 23:36:52 MST
From: "Dr. S. Totosy" <STOTOSY@UALTAVM>
Subject: 7.0308 Rs: Concording; Dante; Goethe; Jongleur; CDs (6/105)

From: Dr. S. Totosy
Comparative Literature
University of Alberta
For the e-Goethe: Stephen Sondrup is at Brigham Young and has e-mail.

Regards,
S. Totosy
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------76----
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 93 9:41:34 CST
From: gerhard obenaus <gobenaus@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu>
Subject: Re: 7.0296 S/W Qs and Rs (2/51)

> (2) Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 20:22:22 -0500 (EST) (38 lines)
> From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (W. McCarty)
> Subject: visual grabbing & fixing software?
>
> (1) --------------------------------------------------------------------
> From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (W. McCarty)
> Subject: visual grabbing & fixing software?
>
> I need some recommendations for software. The tasks at hand are first
> to grab screen images, then to manipulate them. What I need are
> highest quality images for later reproduction in a book; I may want to
> sharpen the contrast on these images, change brightness, expand or
> contract them, perhaps overlay them with comments and simple graphics,
> such as arrows. I need to produce image files in a variety of standard
> formats, e.g. .BMP, .EPS. The system I am using is an MS-DOS machine,
> 486/66MHz, with a Diamond Stealth video card & drivers, running 1024 x
> 768 on a 17-inch colour monitor -- and, of course, Windows 3.1. I'm
> sufficiently uneducated in the technical aspects of the equipment,
> however, not to know what the setup has to do with the quality of
> images obtained, so I would appreciate detailed advice here as well.

You should take a look at HiJaak Pro, Version 2.0 from Inset Systems.
It is their latest Windows version and it supports just about any graphics
format you can think of. It also provides several options for screen capture
to allow you to capture a window, the entire screen, or an area which you
define. You can then save the captured image as a graphics file or copy
it directly into your application.

PhotoFinish PC Paintbrush, and, to a limited degree, the Windows Paintbrush
program will let you edit the graphics file to suit your needs. If you are
only interested in screen snap shots, no editing is required with HiJaaK Pro.
I don't have Inset's address handy, but they can be reached on CompuServe
by typing GO INSET. They should also be listed in any computer magazine.

Another program you may want to try is Shootit. It is shareware and available
at various ftp sites. It does a good job capturing an area of the screen which
you define. However, it will only allow you to paste the bitmap into a
another Windows application. You cannot save the file from within shootit. If
you want a clean capture of the screen, it is easier to do it with HiJaak Pro.
HiJaak Pro retails for about $ 180 I believe, but Inset offers an educational
discount.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Gerhard Obenaus