7.0337 CFP 3: Natural Language and Vision Processing (1/163)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 15 Dec 1993 19:20:03 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0337. Wednesday, 15 Dec 1993.

Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 18:02:01 GMT
From: Paul Mc Kevitt <P.McKevitt@dcs.sheffield.ac.uk>
Subject: Call for Papers

Advance Announcement

CALL FOR PAPERS AND PARTICIPATION

AAAI-94 Workshop on the
Integration of Natural Language and Vision Processing

Twelfth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-94)
Seattle, Washington, USA

2 days during July 31st-August 4th 1994

Chair:
Paul Mc Kevitt
Department of Computer Science
University of Sheffield

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

There has been a recent move towards considering the integration of
perception sources in Artificial Intelligence (AI) (see Dennett 1991
and Mc Kevitt (Guest Ed.) 1994). This workshop will focus on research
involved in the integration of Natural Language Processing (NLP) and
Vision Processing (VP).

Although there has been much progress in developing theories, models
and systems in the areas of NLP and VP there has been little progress
on integrating these two subareas of Artificial Intelligence (AI).

It is not clear why there has not already been much activity in
integrating NLP and VP. Is it because of the long-time reductionist
trend in science up until the recent emphasis on chaos theory,
non-linear systems, and emergent behaviour? Or, is it because the
people who have tended to work on NLP tend to be in other Departments,
or of a different ilk, to those who have worked on VP?

We believe it is high time to bring together NLP and VP. Already we
have advertised a call for papers for a special issue of the Journal
of AI Review to focus on the integration of NLP and VP and we have had
a tremendous response. There will be three special issues focussing
on theory and applications of NLP and VP. Also, there will be an issue
focussing on intelligent multimedia systems.

The workshop is of particular interest at this time because research
in NLP and VP have advanced to the stage that they can each benefit
from integrated approaches. Also, such integration is important as
people in NLP and VP can gain insight from each others' work.