7.0339 Philosophy Preprint Exchange Update (1/86)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 15 Dec 1993 19:23:07 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0339. Wednesday, 15 Dec 1993.

Date: Wed, 08 Dec 93 20:10:03 +0900
From: phil-preprints-admin@cogsci.l.chiba-u.ac.jp
Subject: News from the IPPE

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
News from the International Philosophical Preprint Exchange
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- 30 Nov 93

------------------------
Usership and submissions
------------------------ In recent weeks, usage of the IPPE has remained
steady at about 4500 accesses per month. However, probably due to the
approaching end of the semester in many parts of the world, the rate of
new submissions has temporarily dipped. Approximately 20 new papers are
at some stage or other of the submission process, and we hope to be able
to announce several batches of newly available papers within the next
few weeks.

--------------------------------
Books, journals, and conferences
-------------------------------- Other new developments are also in the
works. We shall soon be opening a new directory (and Gopher menu) for
journals, book series, and conferences, within which we will be making
available abstracts, tables of contents, and in some cases introductory
essays of forthcoming issues of journals, forthcoming volumes in book
series, and papers to be presented at conferences. Thus far, we have
firm arrangements with two journals and with one book series. We would
be glad to hear from others who might be interested in a similar
arrangement.

--------------------------
North American mirror site
-------------------------- Courtesy of Professor Michael Hart of Project
Gutenberg, a mirror image of the IPPE archive will shortly be available
for ftp users at a North American mirror site, mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (the
main site in Japan, Phil-Preprints.L.Chiba-U.ac.jp, will of course also
remain available to users worldwide). North American users, as well as
certain others, may prefer to ftp to the North American site. On
mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu, the IPPE archive can be found in the directory
etext/ippe.

Please note that mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu cannot accept IPPE submissions;
for submission information, see below.

------------------
Other mirror sites
------------------ Other sites interested in keeping an automated mirror
image of the IPPE archive are desired, especially in parts of the world
which do not yet have a nearby IPPE mirror. We would especially like to
have additional mirror sites in Europe and Australasia. To mirror the
IPPE, you need to be able to commit a considerable amount of disk space
(no less than 100 MB, although only half that will be needed
immediately), to be willing to install and run the Washington University
ftp server (wuftpd), and to be willing to transmit the relevant potions
of the ftp server's log files to the Chiba site periodically (we have
automated software that will accomplish this). All interested parties
are invited to contact us at the address
<phil-preprints-admin@phil-preprints.L.chiba-u.ac.jp> to discuss matters.

Placing your own working papers on the IPPE
------------------------------------------- The IPPE welcomes working
papers in all areas of philosophy. Authors who place their papers on
the IPPE benefit from the comments and criticisms of philosophers
worldwide: on average, a paper placed on the IPPE is read twice a day,
in the first month alone. Authors retain copyright, and papers remain
fully publishable. If you wish to place a paper on the IPPE, please
contact Carolyn Burke (cburke@nexus.yorku.ca), who will be pleased to
guide you throught the processs of submitting your paper by email, ona
diskette, or by ftp. (Expert ftp users may wish to simply connect to
Phil-Preprints.L.Chiba-U.ac.jp, read the file pub/submissions/README,
and upload their papers using the procedure described therein.)

Accessing the International Philosophical Preprint Exchange
By gopher: "gopher apa.oxy.edu" or "gopher kasey.umkc.edu".
By ftp: "ftp Phil-Preprints.L.Chiba-U.ac.jp", or
"ftp mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu"
By email: "mail phil-preprints-service@Phil-Preprints.L.Chiba-U.ac.jp".

To place a paper or comment on the IPPE: see pub/submissions/README.
If you have questions: send mail to <cburke@nexus.yorku.ca>.