7.0357 Rs: Edwin Mellen Press; Wired (4/70)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sat, 18 Dec 1993 11:37:58 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0357. Saturday, 18 Dec 1993.

(1) Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 07:12:07 -0800 (28 lines)
From: cwalton@nevada.edu
Subject: Re: 7.0349 Rs: Edwin Mellen Press (5/136)

(2) Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 21:06:31 -0600 (10 lines)
From: Ferstel John W <jwf3885@usl.edu>
Subject: Re: 7.0344 Rs: Wired; Philip K Dick (3/49)

(3) Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 21:58:48 -0500 (20 lines)
From: kelsey@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Kelsey Libner)

(4) Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 16:55 EST (12 lines)
From: George Aichele <0004705237@mcimail.com>
Subject: Wired Magazine

Date: Fri, 17 Dec 93 07:12:07 -0800
From: cwalton@nevada.edu

I am surprised and saddened to read Tony Schwartz's message to the effect that
this discussion about Edwin Mellen [not Mellon ] Press must be banished from
automatic purchase plans because of things said here (or previously) alleging
poor quality. Their series of "Studies in the History of Philosophy" has
produced several valuable volumes, including Michael Seidler's translation of
Samuel Pufendrof's ON THE NATURAL STATE OF MEN, not otherwise available. It
would seem that two recommendations ought to be justified, based on what I
have read so far on the net: the library acquisitions people can kill or sustain
a small press, so ought to proceed with great caution with negative broad-
scale judgments; and also, if a series within that press or any other, has a
good reputation, then keep the series, if not everything published.
Notice that no one reported evidence of lack of refereeing, and the one
person who had submitted a ms. reported what might have been the procedure for
the usual refereeing of mss. Why not ask the Press? Clearly this is not only
about African studies, but any studies considered by larger presses to be
minor or negligible business opportunities.

In philosophy we have the Philos. Research Archives for odd-sized mss.
not likely to reach traditional print circulation, and we now have IPPE,
a "pre-print " exchange via e-mail. So it may be that other routes will or
do lie open not only to those in African studies, but all of us working on
topics not currently profitable.

- Craig Walton, Philosophy and Instit. for Ethics and Policy Studies, UNLV