7.0432 More on Advertising and Humanist (4/124)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 15:48:41 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0432. Friday, 21 Jan 1994.

(1) Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 14:21:17 -0500 (24 lines)
From: rand@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Rand David)
Subject: Advertising

(2) Date: Fri, 20 Jan 94 3:25:45 (37 lines)
From: Elaine Brennan <Elaine_Brennan@Brown.edu>
Subject: Humanist and Advertising

(3) Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 17:03:57 -0500 (40 lines)
From: cedwards@acs.bu.edu (Christopher Edwards)
Subject: Re: 7.0419 Humanist & Advertising: Question & Comments

(4) Date: 18 Jan 1994 20:34:19 -0500 (CDT) (23 lines)
From: MCSWAIN@Acd.Tusk.Edu

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 94 14:21:17 -0500
From: rand@ERE.UMontreal.CA (Rand David)

I have mixed feelings about commercial use of the Internet. Basically
I favour more rather than less control of such use. I don't want to
receive tons of junk mail. Yet I also have a foot on the other side of
the debate. About a year ago I submitted to HUMANIST a brief posting (a
few sentences) announcing a for-sale software product of which I am
co-author. My posting never appeared, and I concluded that it must have
been censored because it constituted advertising. HUMANIST probably has
a policy of excluding advertising, thought I (am I right?), so I chalked
this incident up to an error on my part.

Now it would appear that that policy (if it exists) is being
questioned. I hope that the current discussion will lead to the
elaboration of clear guidelines. I would suggest that product
announcements, if allowed, should be kept brief and concise. Anyone
desiring more detailed information could request it privately. If such
announcements are not allowed, then this restriction should be clearly
stated.
David Rand, CRM, U. de Montreal, CP-6128-A Montreal Quebec H3C 3J7
Telephone: 514-343-6111:4726 --|-- Internet: rand@ere.umontreal.ca
(2) --------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 94 3:25:45
From: Elaine Brennan <Elaine_Brennan@Brown.edu>

I hope that this note will serve primarily as an extraordinarily
belated apology to David Rand, whose notice about his software progrm
(dated 10 May 1992) should have been posted to Humanist at the time
we received it. I suspect that while one of the then editors intended
to post it, it may have gotten caught in a transition between us, and
was inadvertently ignored. (I still have the note, and if it's still
valid, Prof. Rand, please let me know -- I *will* post it.)

Advertising seems to me to be a rather large puzzle on the net; I am
myself more frustrated by advertising that pretends to be substantive
than by a more obviously identifiable "buy me! buy me!" notice. But
sometimes, I don't find it an easy call.

On the one hand, much of the information that we deal with on
Humanist is necessarily related to products -- be it font packages,
CD-ROM products, computer systems -- and just the mention of some
of those products could easily be construed as (at least) tacit
advertisments. And there are tools, developed in many instances
by our colleagues, which can be very helpful in our work, and which
simply are not available through other channels.

On the other hand, I don't want to be any more overwhelmed than I
am already with notices of products or cries of the end of the
world, or internet dating services for that matter. I put up with
them because, at the moment, the signal as a whole is still
better than the noise. But some days I wonder.

Is there any easy answer here? I doubt it; I assume that while
wearing my editorial hat (as opposed to my bad hair day hat) I will
continue to make some decisions that members of the Humanist
community disagree with. My editorial biases and mistakes are
just that -- mine -- and I try to be clear about them, and to share
with the members of Humanist many of those comments that call me
to task for my lapses.

Elaine