7.0438 Another View of TLL Meeting (1/48)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 19:19:02 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0438. Monday, 24 Jan 1994.

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 94 08:08:50 CET
From: Paul Tombeur <THOMDOC@BUCLLN11.BITNET>
Subject: Answer to Mr. T. Brunner

I have examined the electronic message, as it was sent by
Professor Theodore F. Brunner to all participants of the
"Classics" study group on Friday, January 14th, regarding the
conference held on December 17th-18th on the campus of the
University of California at Irvine (UCI) on "Thesaurus Linguae
Latinae and Thesaurus Linguae Graecae: New Directions for
Electronic Lexicography in Latin and Greek."

I was appalled to read the report by Theodore F. Brunner
and am compelled to issue a categorical denial to its main
points.

1. Indeed, Theodore F. Brunner did present at our latest
session a TENTATIVE motion.

2. Yet, the participants DID NOT endorse the project or pledge
their support by ratifying a motion.

3. The motion WAS NOT "ratified by a positive vote of all the
participants." There was NO VOTE.

4. The text of the motion was NOT EVEN MADE AVAILABLE to the
participants, and so NO SIGNATURE whatsoever was appended to
any text.

5. Nobody was entrusted with a mandate for the production of
TLL in a machine-readable format, and the general editor of
the TLL confined himself to general expectations.

6. The session was adjourned leaving the discussion open and
NOT having made ANY DECISION.

I deeply regret having to set things straight in such a
categorical way. This can only be confirmed by all the
participants mentioned in the message.

Prof. Paul TOMBEUR
Director of the CETEDOC
Louvain-la-Neuve