7.0511 Qs: Book Index S/W; Spanish Texts on CD-ROM (2/54)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 22:28:07 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 7, No. 0511. Tuesday, 22 Feb 1994.

(1) Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 10:21:06 MET (38 lines)
From: feldweg@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de (Helmut Feldweg)
Subject: Wanted: book index software

(2) Date: Tue, 22 Feb 1994 16:48:24 +0000 (CUT) (16 lines)
From: Maurizio Lana <lana@rs950.cisi.unito.it>
Subject: spanish texts on cd-rom? (q)

Date: Tue, 22 Feb 94 10:21:06 MET
From: feldweg@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de (Helmut Feldweg)

I am helping out with some technical advice on how to effectively
create an index for a major two volume linguistic handbook.

Automatic indexing is not an issue for this project since we are
concerned about indexing quality and the book is not available for us
in an easily tractable machine readable format.

What I am looking for is some piece of software (preferably running
on Macintoshes) that allows for quick and consistent entry of keywords per
page. The sceanrio would be as follows:
a) entries for the index will be marked intellectually/manually in the
printed edition of the book.
b) the marked entries will then be keyed into a computer.

For the second step it would be very helpful to have some program that
allows entry completion, so that it is no longer necessary to type a
complete entry once that entry has been entered into the index. E.g.,
one types SY and the system completes to SYNTA since SYNTAX and
SYNTACTIC are already in the index. Typing an additional X or C would
then be sufficient for a disambiguation of the first word of the index
entry etc.

Such a procedure would not only speed up typing, what is more
important is that it helps creating consistent index entries.

Has anybody done this before? Does anybody know of software
supporting this?

Helmut Feldweg
Seminar f"ur Sprachwissenschaft, Universit"at T"ubingen
Wilhelmstr. 113, D-72074 T"ubingen, Germany
Tel: +49 7071 294279
Fax: +49 7071 550520
E-mail: feldweg@sfs.nphil.uni-tuebingen.de