8.0002 R: Workshops for Humanities Faculty (1/24)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 8 May 1994 17:07:09 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0002. Sunday, 8 May 1994.

Date: Fri, 6 May 1994 09:56:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: John Slatin <jslatin@emx.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: 7.0641 Ideas for Workshop to Interest Humanities Faculty (1/35)

We've just held the first in what will become an annual series: a COmputer
Writing and Research Lab Colloquium, in which we alternated between
conference-style presentations (more or less formal papers on different
aspects of computer-based instruction and/or research) and hands-on
demonstrations. We spread this over a day and a half; we also served
food, as a way to lure people in...

There were three sessions: on pedagogical strategies for the networked
classroom, on hypertext for the classroom (both courseware and
student-authored texts), and on integrating internet phenomena
(newsgroups, Mosaic/WWW, MUDs and MOOs) into the curriculum.

The reviews were good; we'll be publishing selected parts of the
proceedings in Vol. 1, #1 of our on-line journal, CWRL, in late August.

John Slatin
Director, Computer Writing and Research Lab
Division of Rhetoric and Composition
and Department of English
University of Texas at Austin
Austin TX 78712