8.0053 Rs: Gopher (1/26)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 8 Jun 1994 22:21:46 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0053. Wednesday, 8 Jun 1994.

Date: Mon, 06 Jun 1994 14:23:25 +0800
From: "Tze-wan Kwan, Hongkong (twkwan@cuhk.hk)" <B071767@CUCSC.BITNET>
Subject: Re: 8.0048 Net Resources: Gopher Question; TEI online (2/47)

Willard McCarty complained about the extra period (fullstop) appended and
misinterpreted by the Gopher client. I tried it on my Gopher client but
cannot see where the problem lies! I used IP addresses as argument to
the gopher command and always got through to where I wanted to land.
So I think the problem Willard encountered might be one owing to wrong
installation of the gopher client!
But in case it helps if the corresponding "domain address:
is available

I can then suggest one way to work around the trouble.
In UNIX , there is a well-known program called nslookup which helps find
out the IP address from a given domain address. However, it is less well-
known that we can use nslookup to do the opposite: namely, to find out
the domanin
address from a givee
n IP address.
To do this, you first enter the "nslookup" command without any argument.
You'll then be returned a > prompt. Now from this >prompt issue the
command: set type=ptr
When you see the > prompt again, you can then enter the IP address you
have at hand while the nslookup program will return you domain address
as well as all possible aliases associated with the given IP information!

Tze-wan Kwan
Philosophy Department,
The Chinese University of HongKong