8.0096 TEI in Text Technology (1/57)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 13 Jul 1994 21:58:41 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0096. Wednesday, 13 Jul 1994.

Date: Fri, 08 Jul 1994 22:30:36 +0100
From: Lou Burnard <lou@vax.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Wanted: TEI journos...

At the invitation of editor Eric Johnson, I've agreed to guest-edit a
special issue of the journal Text Technology. The plan is to produce a
varied collection of user-friendly pieces describing the impact of the
recently-published TEI Guidelines on the world of electronic
scholarship, which will complement the more academic and detailed
coverage in the forthcoming special issue of Computers and the
Humanities, and maybe provide some evidence that the TEI is not just
for seriouly committed technoids.

I'm looking for short, accessible, and (preferably) enthusiastic
essays containing any of the following:

-- case studies derived from real life experience of applying the
Guidelines in any area
-- analysis of the long term significance of the Guidelines
-- critical discussion of weakness or inadequacy in the current TEI
proposals
-- suggestions for future TEI developments
-- "how to get started" style introductions to the use of the
Guidelines in particular application areas

Just to get you thinking, here are some suggestions:

-- using a simple TEI-conformant dtd to prepare essays, articles,
theses etc.
-- marking up literary texts for stylistic or linguistic analysis
-- marking up texts in non-Roman alphabets
-- using public domain software to convert TEI-conformant texts for
use with popular analysis packages such as TACT, Wordcruncher or OCP
-- use of the TEI scheme in corpus linguistics
-- word-processing of TEI-conformant texts
-- use of the TEI in preparing critical editions
-- using TEI texts on the World Wide Web
-- building interchangeable hypertexts with the aid of the TEI
-- the role of the TEI in building the digital library
-- TEI-capable software and how to use it

If you've an idea you'd like to develop, experience you'd like to
share, or advice you wish you'd received yourself -- now's the time to
reach for your keyboard. I'd like to get the basic contents of the
issue sorted out before I go on holiday in August, so please let me
know if you're interested as soon as possible. I'm very happy to
discuss any suggestions or rough drafts you want to send me.

I hesitate to propose a deadline, but it would be really good to get
this issue out before the start of next academic year, so, if you're
planning to go away yourself this summer, don't forget to pack your
laptop...

Lou Burnard

p.s. Sorry, there's no money in it. Just fame!