8.0129 Rs: Tractatus (2/104)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Sun, 7 Aug 1994 22:00:19 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0129. Sunday, 7 Aug 1994.

(1) Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 13:47:53 -0400 (EDT) (74 lines)
From: Andrew Burday <andy@dep.philo.mcgill.ca>
Subject: Tractatus; correcting an error

(2) Date: Mon, 01 Aug 94 23:26:49 (30 lines)
From: bill.jenkins@chrysalis.org
Subject: 8.0124 TRACTATUS

Date: Mon, 1 Aug 1994 13:47:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: Andrew Burday <andy@dep.philo.mcgill.ca>

Someone recently asked if there was an electronic version of
Wittgenstein's Tractatus available. In fact, there is. Simon Rae was
kind enough to respond with the name of a site that has a pointer to the
electronic Tractatus. Unfortunately, he made an error with respect to the
e-mail address of the administrators of that site.

The e-mail address of the administrators of the Chicago Philosophy Project
may be found by connecting to their Web server at

http://csmaclab-www.uchicago.edu/philosophyProject/philos.html

(Note that there is no space between 'philosophy' and 'Project'.)

Phil-Preprints-Service@phil-preprints.l.chiba-u.ac.jp has nothing to do
with the Chicago project, however. It is the address of the IPPE's mail
server. Mail sent to that address automatically
gets fed to a program that is designed to reply with files from an
archive. Anyone who sends an ordinary inquiry to that address is going to
get a very perplexing series of error messages in reply!

The IPPE mentions the Chicago Philosophy Project in its messages because you
can use the CPP to connect to the IPPE. There is no further connection
between the two. They are administered by completely different groups.

I do recommend that anyone interested in the field have a look at the
electronic Tractatus. Use your favorite Web browser to connect to

http://midas.thphys.ox.ac.uk:8001/the_tractatus

That will give you a hypertext version of the Tractatus. Instead of
reading through the work linearly, you are first presented with the seven
basic propositions. You can click on each of them to get the further
comments from the relevant section. For instance, if you click on "1. The
world is all that is the case", you get "1.1 The world is the totality of
facts, not things", and "1.2 The world divides into facts." You can then
click on each of these to read 1.11, 1.12, 1.13; and so on. (To read the
rest of the work, you just carry on in the same way ;*>)

I found this a very interesting way to read the Tractatus (or part of it
-- I didn't try to read the whole thing). It obviously wouldn't do for
some purposes. On the first page of the hypertext version is the name and
email address of the person who prepared it. He could probably tell you
where to find a plain etext of the Tractatus. Presumably that's what he
started with.

Best,

Andrew Burday
andy@philo.mcgill.ca