8.0152 Rs: Quotes; Off-line Mail Readers (2/97)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 24 Aug 1994 18:05:15 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0152. Wednesday, 24 Aug 1994.

(1) Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 09:26:39 -0400 (46 lines)
From: Jim Campbell <jmc@poe.acc.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: 8.0139 Qs: Quotes; Language Tutorials; Art Lists (3/44)

(2) Date: Sat, 13 Aug 1994 11:21:32 -0500 (CDT) (51 lines)
From: erodgers@whale.st.usm.edu (Elizabeth Rodgers)
Subject: Re: 8.0135 Off-line Mail Readers

Date: Fri, 12 Aug 1994 09:26:39 -0400
From: Jim Campbell <jmc@poe.acc.virginia.edu>

The database of the Institut fuer deutsche Sprache in Mannheim
may be of some help in identifying the quotes from Mann and
Boell. They have most of Thomas Mann online and there are a
number of Boell works included in their sample databases of
postwar texts, e.g., Ansichten eines Clowns is in MK1, though
I don't know if it's complete. Other databases include Goethe
(Hamburger Ausgabe) and Marx/Engels (MEGA and other
recensions). Ability to use ISO-Latin1 and changing to a
German keyboard layout will be helpful in using COSMAS.

Here are instructions on Internet access, taken from an issue of
NEDER-L.

* On-line access to the 30 million collection of German corpora *
* at the Institut fuer deutsche Sprache, Mannheim (IDS), Germany *
* is now available for non-profit institutions. *
* *
* The collection contains lemmatized written and spoken German *
* texts including literature, novelettes, scientific texts, *
* dialogues, interviews, autobiographies, magazines and newspapers.*
*
* To run the demo version (full text access, no file transfer, no *
* user-specific environment, access time limited to 30 minutes per *
* session) of the COSMAS retrieval software in Mannheim: *
* *
* $telnet IDSserver.IDS-Mannheim.DE *
* login: cosmas-demo *
* Password: *
* *
* The software runs e.g. on vt100(-emulated) terminals using the *
* German version of the ISO-646 for keyboard and display coding. *
* Further details (on permanent access, contact persons, ...) are *
* given in the demo version. *
* *
* Cyril Belica (Belica@IDS-Mannheim.DE) *

- Jim Campbell (campbell@virginia.edu)