8.0164 R: TLG and Pandora (1/23)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 1 Sep 1994 17:47:34 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0164. Thursday, 1 Sep 1994.

Date: Wed, 31 Aug 1994 10:06:58 -0800
From: tbrunner@uci.edu (Theodore F. Brunner)
Subject: TLG and Pandora

Hayden Pelliccia writes:

"I discovered a problem in TLG and Pandora today, and I thought
members of the list might like to know about it if they don't already.
The fault lies with TLG, but is exacerbated by a limitation in
Pandora. Pandora explicitly states that "two words are only within a
certain number of lines of one another if they are in the same reference
unit -- section, chapter, verse, etc." So that in a search of all Herodotus
for Aiguptioi semnoun within 4 lines of meta Pandora will tell you "nothing
found", even though the words are consecutive, the one phrase ending Hdt.
3. 16 and the other opening 3. 17.
The real problem is that TLG has been inconsistent and careless in
dividing up "reference units... (etc.)"

The TLG is not accustomed to being faulted with inconsistency and
(especially) carelessness, and P's comments come as somewhat of a surprise.
We will look into the matter, and respond in good time. For the moment,
however: the TLG takes no responsibility for the performance of any
software developed for use with its CD ROMs.

Theodore F. Brunner