8.0243 Univ of Missouri Grad Student FConf Call (1/70)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 10 Oct 1994 23:03:35 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0243. Monday, 10 Oct 1994.

Date: Thu, 06 Oct 94 13:58:00 CDT
From: Eric Crump <LCERIC@MIZZOU1>
Subject: MU English Grad Student Conference Call

The English Graduate Students Association
of the University of Missouri presents . . .

The Fourth Annual English Graduate Student Conference
University of Missouri-Columbia

*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*
Text, Texture and Context

February 17-19, 1995

Poetry Reading and Plenary Lecture by:

Sandra M. Gilbert
University of California, Davis
*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*-----*

This year's theme, Text, Texture and Context, encourages
exploration of all aspects of the creation and study of texts.
Definitions of *text* have persistently changed, and this conference
will be a forum for graduate students to examine the discipline's
developing understanding of texts themselves and how we view them
through various critical lenses. We are interested in the study of
texts as physical objects, in how our perceptions are evolving as
influenced by the proliferation of electronic media, and in the
continually shifting role of the author in the creation of the text.

We invite abstracts and panel proposals in the following areas:

--> Rhetoric and Composition
--> Literary Criticism
--> Folklore and Oral Tradition
--> Manuscript Studies
--> Electronic Media
--> Creative Writing
--> Literary Theory
--> Pedagogy of Writing and Literature
--> Book Arts and History

The conference hopes to provide a forum for book artists and writers
to discuss and show their small press and book design projects. We
encourage interdisciplinary approaches to the book as artifact and
maker of meaning.

The 1995 conference will also feature expanded roundtable
discussions on graduate study and the discipline in general, a
banquet, and receptions to follow the plenary readings.

Please submit 1-2 page abstracts. Panel proposals may be slightly
longer and should include abstracts for individual papers where
appropriate. We solicit readings in fiction, poetry, and creative non-
fiction. Writers should submit 1-2 short stories or essays (under 50
pages) or 3-7 poems.

Submit Proposals or Questions:

By mail or e-mail:
Pennie Pflueger
c623162@mizzou1.missouri.edu
107 Tate Hall
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211

*** Deadline: Abstracts, panel proposals, and creative
work must be postmarked no later than October 31, 1994 ***