8.0261 R: Intro to the Internet (1/17)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Thu, 13 Oct 1994 22:59:13 EDT

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0261. Thursday, 13 Oct 1994.

Date: Wed, 12 Oct 1994 15:01:49 -0500 (EST)
From: Watt, James T.
Subject: RE: 8.0251 Intro to the Internet for Humanists (1/39)

I don't know if you want/need this, but I thought an Intro to Internet would be
a wonderful book for me because (a) I hate reading things on a computer screen
and (b) the internet has been of only limited use to me because, [unlike the
post office or telephone company which do not demand any more than either (a) a
reasonably legible address and stamp or (b) a mere eleven or twelve digit number
sequence, to connect to another human being] it is so damn complicated. Indeed,
I dropped all my internet subscription lists almost immediately (I keep the
humanist list only because out of about every 150 messages received one or two
are of marginal interest to me) because i was innundated by wonk trivia on a
level I previously understood to be limited to oenophiles, philatelists and
collectors of what they so quaintly describe as 'military miniatures.' In other
words, there's no way to stem the tide of junk-e-mail; I spent too much time
deleting diliatory arguments re bosnia and hilary and other non-vital couplings
to have any left. I guess for people who don't have real lives, virtual reality
is an acceptable substitute, but pity, in my case, doesn't extend to empathy.
Ta. The above is, of course, an effort to prove my point by illustrating it.
If you didn't get it, forget it. If you did forgo it please.