8.0326 Rs: The Future of Humanities (2/52)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 00:46:40 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0326. Monday, 28 Nov 1994.

(1) Date: 17 Nov 1994 20:45:13 -0500 (CDT) (24 lines)
From: MCSWAIN@Acd.Tusk.Edu
Subject: Re: 8.0320 Rs: The Future of Humanities and Arts (2/34)

(2) Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 19:28:45 -0500 (28 lines)
From: <matsuba@writer.yorku.ca>
Subject: Re: The future of Humanities

Date: 17 Nov 1994 20:45:13 -0500 (CDT)
From: MCSWAIN@Acd.Tusk.Edu

Self-interest aside, I propose that the flaw in the vision of teaching
long distance across fiber optics, large screen graphics displays, exotic
software + multi-media is that it is merely an extension of capitalist
commodification of culture and consciousness. It removes students from the
immediacy of learning by substituting dazzling technology for a human being.
It will not make students more fulfilled; in fact it will only add to their
alienation, because they will discover one more empty place in their
experience, that the automobile, air conditioning and tv have already
evacuated; students need to interact with other humans, not machines or
impressive technical displays, because only a human can communicate to them
the pain, tension, frustrations and joys of exploring one's existence, of
aiding students in embarking on the journey to discover their true self. I
may be pensioned off early, or just told to leave the building as some have
been told in the business world, but I will take my humanity with me, and
no set of machines, software or empty-headed MBAs in the administration
buildings can duplicate it authentically; I take the education with me,
and one day, I hope, we can rid our schools, colleges and universities of
the money-makers, heroes, semi-professional sports programs, expensive
pointless research labs, and other distractions, and come back to our basic
task of learning - and it will be human to human. James McSwain