8.0343 Pamphlets available via WWW (1/47)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Mon, 5 Dec 1994 21:07:11 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0343. Monday, 5 Dec 1994.

Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 14:13:48 -0600
From: Mark Olsen <mark@TUNA.UCHICAGO.EDU>
Subject: Digital Book Experiment

I am running a small experiment on digitizing books over WWW.
To begin, I scanned two French Revolutionary pamphlets, from 1789
and 1791. I would be interested in comments, complaints and
suggestions regarding the legibility of the inline images. To
have a look, you will need a WWW browser that supports inline
images, such as Mosaic, Netscape, or MacWeb.

The first text is:

M. Dufourny de Villiers, Cahiers du quatrieme ordre celui des pauvres
journaliers, des Infirmes, des Indigens... ([Paris], 25 avril, 1789).

http://tuna.uchicago.edu/images/cahier/contents.html

The average image size is 120KB

The second is:

[Sylvain Mare'chal], Dame Nature a` la Barre de l'Assemble'e Nationale.
(Paris, Chez les Marchands de Nouveautis, 1791.

http://tuna.uchicago.edu/images/DN/contents.html

The average image size is 54KB, with some additional enhancements.

My impression is that the display quality depends significantly
on the pixel size of various monitors. Please include the browser,
type of computer, graphics display and monitor type (IMPORTANT),
so that I can modify future experiments accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide. Please send
your comments to me directly. I will summarize and post to this
group if I get enough feedback.

Mark

Mark Olsen
Assistant Director
ARTFL Project
University of Chicago
(312) 702-8687
Gopher: gopher.uchicago.edu/11/uscholarly/artfl
WWW: http://tuna.uchicago.edu/ARTFL.html