8.0409 Rs: Security in E-Mail; E-Books-in-Print (2/47)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 23:12:41 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0409. Wednesday, 22 Mar 1995.

(1) Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 8:09:05 CST (37 lines)
From: John O'Brien <john@para.cps.com>
Subject: Re: Security and e-mail

(2) Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 14:14:37 PST (10 lines)
From: ltaylor@CS.UCLA.EDU
Subject: Books in Print

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 8:09:05 CST
From: John O'Brien <john@para.cps.com>

As a long time user of e-mail, it my personal opinion that the email part of
the transmission is relatively secure. Most machines which mail travels
through only have your mail for a matter of seconds before passing it on to
the next machine. It certainly is possible for any system administrator to
retain copies of specific addresses or for that matter, all mail. The like-
lyhood of that happening is pretty low. The greatest risk is at the originating
and/or terminating ends of the transmission. Especially if you or your
correspondent(s) retain copies of the mail. I subscribe to an internet
provider which has virtually no security for users. I can browse through
99% of the other users accounts on the machine, if I was so inclined.
(I'm not). You can learn to protect your data by learning how to use the
(in most cases) UNIX chmod command. Also, learn how to use the encryption
facilities which are usually available. Finally, if you are worried about
intruders, get your data of off the machine and onto paper (or floppies)
as soon as possible.

John

--
~  John O'Brien ~~~~~~~~~~~~ john@empire.interstate.net ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~