8.0425 Q: Database manager for Macintosh (1/22)

Elaine Brennan (EDITORS@BROWNVM.BITNET)
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 03:44:20 EST

Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 8, No. 0425. Tuesday, 28 Mar 1995.

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 22:09:13 -0500
From: mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca (Willard McCarty)
Subject: database manager for Mac

I would appreciate recommendations for a Macintosh relational database
manager with sufficiently versatile programming language that the results of
queries might be returned as diagrams. The application in question is an
anthropological study of kinship relations, involving both those before and
after a designated couple or individual. If necessary the colleague here who
is interested in such research could do with a relational dbms capable of
outputting data in such a format that diagram-constructing software could
then be applied.

Is there any available software for Mac that already fits the bill? I have
been advised that genealogical software simply isn't good enough for
anthropological studies of the sort I describe. My informant being proved
wrong would make my colleague's day.

Thanks.

WM

Willard McCarty, Centre for Computing in the Humanities (Toronto)
(416) 978-3974 voice (416) 978-6519 fax mccarty@epas.utoronto.ca